Tuesday, August 13, 2013

My Garden

I just love to grow and can my own vegetables! Call me crazy but it is so satisfying to go downstairs and grab a jar of spaghetti sauce or diced tomatoes that I grew and preserved. Yesterday, I did 8 qts of spaghetti sauce. I have approximately 20-25 qts of dill and bread and butter pickles that I've done in the past month.This year Greg and I tried something new as well. We have a large crock and currently have old-fashioned dill pickles, like I used to get in a barrel at the deli, fermenting. It takes 4-6 weeks, so we'll see how they turn out.I still need to do tomato soup but that will have to wait until we get back from vacation. God is so good! Lots of basil in our garden this year! I could have used more cilantro and definitely more oregano. I'll probably plant more of each upon our return and then bring it in when it gets cold. I also did jam for the first time this year. I made strawberry, raspberry and grape and it turned out delicious! So much easier than I thought. Each year I'd like to try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment