Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 and New Beginnings

Wow! 2013 is behind and a new year has begun! What a year 2013 was for us! The beginning of the year saw Greg resign from his job of 15 years to start his own company. Shortly into his new venture, he cut his finger off of his dominant hand, requiring three surgeries, but the finger was saved! He was admitted to the hospital in early summer with high fevers and possible blood infection. My man who is NEVER sick! During that hospitalization, they ruled out the infection but while testing everything possible to see where the infection was, they found pulmonary nodules. I was unfairly terminated from my position of 7 years in July. My mom, who was diagnosed with Lewy-Body Disease 7 years ago, but showed no real signs of anything but some minor Parkinson's symptoms, started having some major medical issues in July. So while unemployed, I was able to help my parents as mom was requiring more and more care. Kristen went away to college at the end of August to Eastern University, a christian college that has really positively impacted her! Mom was in the ER/ hospital 8 times in July and August,her last stay she developed seizures and her weight had dropped 35 pounds since May. Greg had follow-up pulmonary studies which came back fine! Yay, no worries about the pulmonary nodules! Mom was sent to the nursing home right next to our property for Rehab. Dad spent all his time with her there, wearing out a path from his porch to the front door of the home! On the day we were supposed to bring mom home, she had a seizure and was transferred back to the hospital. A feeding tube was also put in through her stomach during this hospitalization as her weight was down to 85 pounds. Mom was doing so poorly, we weren't sure she would be with us at Christmas. Mom went back to the nursing home for more therapy following that hospitalization and came home the Friday before Christmas. She is still very weak, unable to walk and her mind is sketchy. She has unrealistic fears and doesn't remember names but seems to recognize faces most of the time.She requires total care which my dad does. But she is eating and we have not had to use the feeding tube except for a few medications which are hard for mom to take. Josh had a great year, still living in Emmaus and working at Ward's Oriental Carpets. He received a good raise and benefits this year. He started his own side business doing parties at Penn State main and has been booked for several since starting. He makes digital music and DJs. He is still with his girlfriend of 2+ years. She is finishing her degree at Drexel this spring.He also has a cat, James, who keeps him company. Kristen loves Eastern, as I mentioned above. She decided to run Cross Country and knocked 6 minutes off of her time from the start of the season to the end! She loves Spartan races, Tough Mudders, Color Runs, any kind of challenge. She is doing very well in school and I have seen such a positive change in her relationship with Jesus! Greg had very few jobs in December, next to none. But God knew and provided as I started my new job at the end of November. I absolutely love this job and could not have imagined anything better! I have weekends and holidays off, something unheard of in nursing! I wear jeans to work and it is only 7 miles from our home! I was traveling an hour to/from work with my previous job. In July,I was wrongly accused of taking 4 controlled substance pills.I won't get into details but this employer reported it to the nursing board and from July until December 30th, it hung over my head as unfinished business, threatening to destroy my nursing license of 29 years. I was interrogated by an inspector from the nursing board several times. They requested records from my attending physician and the surgeon who repaired my shoulder in October 2012. I had to undergo a psychological evaluation, drug and alcohol testing and much waiting! I knew that I was innocent, but waiting for the authorities to see it was rough. God is faithful! My relationship with Him has strengthened and grown this year as there was nothing I could do but wait and trust Him. Finally, late in the evening on December 30th as I went through our mail, there was a letter from the prosecutor stating that they had closed my case! Greg and I both felt that this was our year of hope, and as each challenge presented itself, we turned to Him and thanked Him for the story we would be able to tell! I couldn't worry or I would have folded in on myself. I could only put this year in His hands and trust. Great is Thy Faithfulness is a hymn that I claimed in August. "Great is thy faithfulness, oh God, our Father. There is no shadow of turning in Thee. ALL I have needed Thy hand has provided, great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me." We did not have in abundance, but we had what we needed, when we needed. It will take us a bit to get back on our feet financially, but He has been faithful in giving us what we needed.January promises many jobs for Greg.It promises new challenges, new growth in Him and opportunity abounds! What a year 2013 was, what a year 2014 will be! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment